We love to educate parents! As they say, knowledge is power and the more you understand, the more support you are able to give your child. OTC wants to help you make confident decisions for your children. See below for our recommended websites and books, and visit our online store and blog for tips and activities that play an integral part in the treatment process.
Children’s books can be a wonderful way to engage with your child. The following books are recommended by OTC because they address various topics commonly encountered by children with sensory processing disorder: Ovis Has Trouble with School and Ovis...
The following books are recommended by OTC to support parents in learning about Sensory Processing Disorder and related subjects that will support success in therapy. Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) by...
We believe it takes a village and have thus formed partnerships within our local community, to serve as resources that may be valuable to you and your family. We select partners based on sharing of similar values and their approach to how they do what they do. If your organization is interested in partnering, please let us know. We’d love to hear from you!
The owners of this battery-free toy store believe in the importance of play and they work to make a difference in our local community. In regards to play, The Bear believes: "Kids need it, adults need it...everyone wins when you put some play in your day!" OTC partners with The Bear to offer classes and parent workshops on topics related to child development and skills children need to play.
Melissa provides a therapeutic environment that addresses individual and family challenges and encourages positive possibilities, as well as each client's inherent potential. OTC partners with Melissa to provide collaborative Counseling and our Sensational Parenting programs and resources.
Sol Yoga's mission is to infuse and inspire health, wellness and wholeness into daily life through the practice of yoga. They are committed to serving the community and encouraging people to care for themselves and others. OTC recommends yoga for people of all ages and has intermittently collaborated on providing yoga classes and workshops to parents and children.
Calvary Weekday Preschool supports the philosophy that children learn best through active involvement with a rich and stimulating environment. OTC partners with Calvary preschool to provide parent education workshops, and screening or assessment services in the classroom.
- asensorylife.com – Packed full of sensory resources and tools designed to help you understand and respond to your child’s sensory signals!
- spdnetwork.org – Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation; world leader in research, education, and awareness of sensory processing disorder.
- sensorysmarts.com – Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The definitive handbook for helping your child with sensory processing disorder; has sections for working with schools and sensory diet ideas
- yogapeutics.com – Aerial yoga and mindfulness for kids!
- movingsmart.biz – A blog, resources and courses to help parents and teachers understand the comprehensive benefits of wiggling and play in early childhood.
- aota.org – The American Occupational Therapy Association
- integratedlistening.com – Integrated Listening Systems; research, products, and webinars.
- interactivemetronome.com – Interactive Metronome Therapy Program for treating neurological conditions impacting cognitive and motor functions.
Books & Print
- “Sensational Kids: Hope and help for children with sensory processing disorder (SPD)”
by Lucy Jane Miller PhD, OTR
- “The Brain that Changes Itself”
by Norman Doidge M.D., PhD
- “The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog”
by Bruce D. Perry M.D., PhD
- “Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to do if you are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World.”
by Sharon Heller PhD
- “Dry All Night: The Picture Book Technique that Stops Bedwetting”
by Allison Mack
What You Can Do Today
Contact us for information!